Thursday, January 28, 2010

Am I going to have to root for Tsonga now? Really?

I keep meaning to update this and then completely forgetting/refusing to take my laptop with me to cafes, because that would be so not Lyon of me, and thus completely forgetting what I meant to say. I suppose I'll just take a few highlights from the past week and call it a day.

1) Went skiing for the first time on Saturday. In the Alps. That's right, the ALPS. Also, received a ski lesson (courtesy of Georgetown) from a French ski instructor, entirely in French. At what my host family keeps referring to as the most expensive ski resort in the world. I dare anyone to walk up to my host siblings and tell them you went skiing at Courchevel. The resulting teasing is priceless.

2) Went out and saw a French movie called Complices on Sunday. Minus the embarrassment of forgetting the movie title when it came time to order my ticket, this venture (also courtesy of Georgetown) was very much a success. I also have plans to see two other French movies that will be opening soon: a terrible looking buddy cop movie that looks like a cross between The Pink Panther and Miami Vice, and a Holocaust movie. Yes, those are on opposite ends of a spectrum.

3) Discovered Cotes-du-Rhone wine: local, cheap, and the only red wine I've been able to drink without wincing. Scratch that, all French red wines are drinkable; this one's just the cheapest.

4) Discovered Pomme de Pain, a sandwich chain. Honestly, I don't think anything I could say would do its delicious crusty bread and potato wedges justice.

5) Had a legitimate conversation with my oldest host sister at dinner. Talking to her is often a step up from talking to Ferreol, who pronounced tonight that he was born on the same day as his birthday. Yes, the dinner table conversation is truly the definition of wit.

No plans for the weekend yet, but I think I'm going to look into taking a quick day trip to Geneva on Sunday. If the prices aren't too high. If they are, screw it, I'll just go to Marseille.

2 comments:

  1. or rather, screw it i'm going to disneyland:Part 3: EURODISNEY

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't go to Geneva! Switzerland sucks and is expensive. Go to Marseille!!!

    ReplyDelete